Most of my readers out there are familiar with Cisco SMARTnet. SMARTnet has you covered for most software and hardware support or replacement options you will need when things go bump in the night.
Below are some of the important coverage options you should discuss with your partner. For example, next business day might be plenty fast depending on your business operations for a IP phone. But if your core switch goes down you may want two-hour response time.
SMARTnet 8x5xNext Business Day
Where Next Business Day delivery is available, an Advance Replacement will ship to arrive the next Business Day provided that Cisco's determination of Hardware failure has been made before 3:00 p.m. Depot Time. If Customer makes a request after 3:00 p.m. Depot Time, Cisco will ship the Advance Replacement the next Business Day.
Advance Replacement on a Four-Hour Response basis between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Depot Time the same Business Day, provided that Cisco's determination of Hardware failure has been made before 1:00 p.m. Depot Time. If Customer makes a request after 1:00 p.m. Depot Time, Cisco will deliver the Advance Replacement the morning of the next Business Day.
Advance Replacement parts on a Four-Hour Response basis twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week, including Cisco observed holidays.
Advance Replacement on a Two-Hour Response basis twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week, including Cisco-observed holidays.
Severity Level SLA
Another important topic to understand outside of general hardware replacement is severity levels for your case and the escalation procedures. In the above SMARTnet coverage model the customer is responsible for managing their case to resolution and you should understand how to escalate your case.
- Severity 1 means an existing network or environment is down or there is a critical impact to end user’s business operation. End user and Cisco both will commit full-time resources to resolve the situation.
- Severity 2 means operation of an existing network or environment is severely degraded or significant aspects of End User’s business operation are negatively impacted by unacceptable network or environment performance. End user and Cisco both will commit full-time resources during standard business hours to resolve the situation.
- Severity 3 means operational performance of the network or environment is impaired, although most business operations remain functional. End user and Cisco both are willing to commit resources during standard business hours to restore service to satisfactory levels.
- Severity 4 means information is required on Cisco product capabilities, installation, or configuration. There is little or no impact to end user’s business operation. End user and Cisco both are willing to provide resources during standard business hours to provide information or assistance as requested
Cisco will respond within one (1) hour for all calls received during standard business hours and for severity 1 and severity 2. For calls received outside standard business hours, Cisco will respond no later than the next business day.
What about non-Cisco?
But what happens when you have a technical solution with multiple manufacturers, vendors, and applications all singing in harmony and a band member doesn’t show up for work?
How on earth do you handle all the possible points of failure?
Do you have the resources to coordinate a multi-vendor support team?
Do you know who to call at each vendor?
The good news is now you don’t have to worry about troubleshooting a complex solution for your organization.
Welcome to the world of Cisco Solution Support.
Solution support helps alleviate your IT team’s responsibility for troubleshooting multivendor solutions on their own and provides:
- Primary Point of Contact
- Solution Focused Expertise
- Coordination between Key Vendors
- Management of Case to Resolution
If you opt for solution support instead of traditional SMARTnet you have a team of solution experts who are available around the globe and understand how your complex multi-vendor solution should work. Cisco even states a 41% quicker resolution time for their solution support team.
Solution Support Tecnologies
- Hosted Collaboration
- CiscoKinetic™for Cities
- Cisco Kinetic forEnergy –Oil & Gas
- Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director
- Connected Manufacturing
- Digital Transportation
- Smart City LoRa
- Video Surveillance
- Application Centric Infrastructure
- Azure Stack
- Contiv Open Source
- Cisco®Network Assurance Engine
- SAP HANA
- Tetration Analytics™
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
SMARTnet and Solution Support are both viable support options for your team to consider. I hope this article helped clarify some of the options out there to consider.
Please reach out to the sales team at Covene to discuss your coverage today. We have a dedicated SMARTnet team that can analyze your contracts, coverage levels, and infrastructure requirements to help you determine what model is right for you and your team.